30 weeks, 1 day per week
Practical vs Theory
Are you new to dog grooming and looking to launch a career within the sector? This course will give you an important grounding in learning the fundamental basics to working in a grooming salon, preparing you to become a Dog Grooming Assistant.
- This course requires lots of heavy lifting and bending, and manual handling of dogs.
- Preparing and grooming dogs prior to bathing
- Bathing of dogs
- Drying dogs and preparing a dog for styling
- Carrying out trimming of a dogs coat to prepare for styling
- Moving and lifting dogs
- Maintaining the cleanliness and biosecurity of the dog grooming environment
- Professional conduct
- An introduction to anatomical features, breed characteristics and behaviour of dogs
This course is desigend for adults aged 19+. Enthusiasm and commitment are vital for this course. You do not need to be working in a grooming parlor to apply for this course.
Please let us know if you have any existing back issues/ motor skills so that we can safely assess if the course will be suitable for you to take part in.
You will be invited on-site to take part in a short practical assessment and have an informal chat with our tutors prior to be offered a place.
You will learn from a mixture of theoretical and practical sessions.
The course runs one day per week for 30 teaching weeks. Please note that this course runs thorughout the year, not just term time. If you apply to study one of these courses, you will be added to a waiting list and we will be in touch as soon as a slot on a course becomes available. Please let us know on your application if you would like a weekday or a Saturday course.
- Overalls/protective clothing recommendations will be discussed at the first session.
- Grooming scissors recommendations will be discussed at first session.
- Sturdy shoes or boots, e.g. walking boots. Not trainers.