Skip to main content
Agriculture student sat on hay bales mobile

Access to Higher Education

Access to Higher Education courses are intensive, one-year courses designed to get you ready to study for a degree programme.

Who are Access to Higher Education courses for?

Are you aged 19+? Have you been thinking about studying for a degree or another university-level programme?

If you don't have "traditional" qualifications, such as a BTEC or A Levels, or have been out of education for some time, an Access to Higher Education course could be the perfect solution for you.

What are they?

Access to Higher Education Diplomas are widely recognised courses, which are equivalent to other Level 3 qualifications such as A Levels.

The courses combine relevant academic subject knowledge with the techniques you need to study at university level, from research methods to academic writing and referencing.

What Access to Higher Education courses are on offer?

Bishop Burton College offers the following specialist Access to Higher Education Diplomas:

All of these courses are validated by the Cambridge Access Validating Agency (CAVA).


Do universities accept Access courses?

Lots of universities accept Access to Higher Education qualifications, but we recommend you double-check with the university that you're interested in.

The UCAS tariff points you would gain depend on the grade you receive - anywhere between 48 and 144 points.

Can I get a loan to pay for the course?

You may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for your Access course. Even better, when you complete your degree the loan would be 'written off' by Student Finance England.

Course Search How to Apply Open Event Booking