If you are looking to progress into a career teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, including sixth form and further education colleges, adult education and a wide range of other training and educational settings, then this programme is ideal for you.
We welcome applicants with industrial skills and/or relevant academic qualifications and a passion for teaching and training others.
On this course you will have the opportunity to develop the skills to play a full part in teaching and curriculum development. While you study you will focus on your particular subject specialist area, alongside general teaching in the lifelong learning sector.
A significant amount of your learning takes place whilst on placement. You will have the opportunity to benefit from being able to observe experienced teachers, gain practical hands-on experience and to be mentored to help you develop into a successful and effective teacher.
- To provide initial teacher education for the Lifelong Learning sector, which develops excellent practical skills underpinned by an understanding of the theoretical basis for practice.
- To challenge and support you become an autonomous, self-regulating professional with a comprehensive, critical understanding of developments in the sector.
- To provide you with the opportunity to meet relevant professional standards, for example the standards for teachers in the Lifelong Learning sector and the UK Professional Standards Framework for Higher Education.
- To develop your knowledge and understanding as required to plan, implement, assess and evaluate learning in own specialist area.
- To develop your practical skills in supporting and enabling learning, plus interpersonal skills associated with your intended or actual work role.
- To take an inclusive approache to teaching and learning, addressing issues of social justice.
- To show commitment to, and critical understanding of, professional values, knowledge and skills.
- Research Informed Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Becoming a Subject Specialist Teacher
- Being a Subject Specialist Teacher
- Policy and Professional Issues
No prior teaching experience is needed. This programme is particularly suitable if you have relevant qualifications and some experience in your industry and/or subject specialism.Applicants should have:UK degree (normally 2:2 or above) or equivalent related to your specialist areaRelevant work experience in some specialist subject areasIn addition, you must also:Provide Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and health clearancesProvide two satisfactory referencesComplete a satisfactory interviewIf your first language is not English, or a Tier 4 student visa to study is required and GCSE English at grade or equivalent is not held, you will need to evidence your English language proficiency level, such as International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.0 overall (with a minimum 5.5 in each skill).
This programme is delivered with a variety of learning and teaching approaches.
For all modules, theory lectures are delivered that aim to deliver the core content and provide the underpinning knowledge. To complement the theory lectures, students have group seminars that are used to reinforce concepts delivered theoretically.
The teaching methods focus on facilitating a student-centred approach to enhance the independent learning that takes place outside of the classroom.
The programme is taught one evening per week and requires 50 placement hours to be satisfactorily completed.
Attendance at a two-day conference at the University of Huddersfield is required in the second year of the programme.
- A suitable electronic device, e.g. a laptop or tablet, with internet connectivity is required for accessing online learning and completing assignments.
- The location of your placement may require you to travel so please be aware of any associated travel costs.
- On successful completion of the programme, students have the opportunity to graduate at a ceremony wearing formal dress. The hire of the formal dress is an additional cost.
- If you decide to apply for QTLS status this will be an additional cost. You can find out more on the Society for Education and Training website.