Skip to main content
Students with tablets observing alpaca

T Level in Animal Care and Management (Animal Management and Science)

Apply today Enquire about this course Download PDF


Animal Management


Level 3

Study Mode



2 years

Start Date

September 2024

The course

Practical vs Theory


70 %

Are you looking to develop a career working in the animal industry? This T Level specialises in Animal Science will give you the knowledge and skills you need to pursue a range of careers, from becoming a trainee veterinary nurse to working in a laboratory.

You will spend 70% of your time in the classroom and the other 30% undertaking practical activities, including hands-on experience at our Animal Management Centre and time spent in the workplace on industry placement.

T Level Logo Black

T Levels

T Levels have been developed in collaboration with employers to meet industry needs. They are a Level 3 qualification equivalent to 3 A Levels and offer you a balance of classroom theory, practical learning and a hands-on industry placement. You will spend 80% of your time in the classroom or working on our campus, plus 20% in the workplace. T Levels also carry UCAS points to take you on to university.

Find out more

Course Information

  • To provide you with practical skills and knowledge-based learning with specialist components focused on Animal Science.
  • Health and safety principles
  • Sustainability
  • Biosecurity
  • Supply chain
  • Anatomy and physiology
  • Biological cells and tissues
  • Nutrition
  • Animal Behaviour
  • Research methods, data handling and processing
  • Reproductive technology
  • Genetics
  • Ethics
  • Classification
  • Evolution and natural selection
  • Conservation
  • Captive breeding and population management
  • Animal welfare
  • Health and disease
  • Handling and restraint
  • Accommodation design maintenance and enrichment
  • Laboratory skills
  • Biochemistry
  • Microbiology

You will need five GCSEs at grade 5 or above. These must include English and Maths. You will also need Science at either grade 5 for Triple Award or grade 6 for Double Award.

You will learn though a mixture of classroom and practical sessions, as well as meaningful industry placements.

You will usually be on campus four days per week and will also spend time on industry placements.

You will spend a minimum of 315 on placement gaining meaningful industry experience.
  • Folder with dividers to organise your work and assignments
  • Stationery including notepad for use in class, pens and pencils
  • College-branded white laboratory coat
  • College-branded blue kennel coat
  • Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including steel toe capped footwear (boots, shoes, or wellies)
  • Waterproof outdoor clothing and footwear
This T Level will allow you to gain UCAS points to apply to university, as well as giving you the knowledge to enter straight into employment should you wish.
Upon completion of this T Level, you will be able to expore careers such as: Trainee veterinary nurse Animal technician Laboratory technician Research assistant Animal centre assistant Trainee zookeeper Animal care assistant

Careers this course could lead into

Experience our campus for yourself

Students walking from Student Services thumb

Upcoming Event

College (Post-16) Open Event

Saturday, 20 April 2024 - 10:00 - 13:00

View all events
Apply now