Practical vs Theory
Are you looking to develop a career working in the animal industry? This T Level specialises in Animal Science will give you the knowledge and skills you need to pursue a range of careers, from becoming a trainee veterinary nurse to working in a laboratory.
You will spend 70% of your time in the classroom and the other 30% undertaking practical activities, including hands-on experience at our Animal Management Centre and time spent in the workplace on industry placement.
T Levels have been developed in collaboration with employers to meet industry needs. They are a Level 3 qualification equivalent to 3 A Levels and offer you a balance of classroom theory, practical learning and a hands-on industry placement. You will spend 80% of your time in the classroom or working on our campus, plus 20% in the workplace. T Levels also carry UCAS points to take you on to university.
- To provide you with practical skills and knowledge-based learning with specialist components focused on Animal Science.
- Health and safety principles
- Supply chain
- Anatomy and physiology
- Biological cells and tissues
- Animal Behaviour
- Research methods, data handling and processing
- Reproductive technology
- Evolution and natural selection
- Captive breeding and population management
- Animal welfare
- Health and disease
- Handling and restraint
- Accommodation design maintenance and enrichment
- Laboratory skills
You will need five GCSEs at grade 5 or above. These must include English and Maths. You will also need Science at either grade 5 for Triple Award or grade 6 for Double Award.
You will learn though a mixture of classroom and practical sessions, as well as meaningful industry placements.
You will usually be on campus four days per week and will also spend time on industry placements.
- Folder with dividers to organise your work and assignments
- Stationery including notepad for use in class, pens and pencils
- College-branded white laboratory coat
- College-branded blue kennel coat
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including steel toe capped footwear (boots, shoes, or wellies)
- Waterproof outdoor clothing and footwear