Practical vs Theory
Are you looking to launch a career within the animal management industry but haven't achieved grade 4 in English and/or Maths? This course is ideal for you.
Studying the Level 3 in Animal Management will provide you with a broad range of knowledge and understanding about a wide variety of animals, whilst enabling your progression by developing your employability skills and preparing you for further study.
The course will provide you with the basis of academic, technical, and practical skills regarding the care of companion, farm, and exotic animals in various industries, in addition to completing your GCSE Maths and/or English alongside.
You will have the exciting opportunity to work with a range of species at our highly prized and industry-relevant Animal Management Centre, including otters, wallabies, and lemurs; cuscus, chameleon, and cockroaches; tortoises, tarantula, and tenrec; alongside our specialist nocturnal room, reptile room, and aquatics room.
From meerkats and skunks to hamsters and goats, you will develop animal handling and husbandry skills for each species you work within their specialist environments, building knowledge and learning of animal behaviour, habitat and welfare.
You will also have the opportunity to gain vital work experience with local animal businesses to develop industry-specific knowledge and skills, and experience a true taste of the career you have set your sights on.
Please note that the modules may be subject to change.
- To provide you with a broad range of knowledge and understanding about a wide range of animals, whilst enabling your progression by developing your employability skills or preparing you for your year two programme in Animal Management, depending on your career goals.
- To provide you with the basis of academic, technical, and practical skills regarding the care of companion, farm, and exotic animals in various industries.
- To develop your animal handling and husbandry skills with a wide variety species and specialist environments.
- To give you the opportunity to gain vital work experience with local animal businesses to develop industry-specific knowledge and skills, and experience a true taste of the career you have set your sights on.
- Animal welfare and ethics
- Practical animal husbandry
- Animal behaviour
- Animal health and diseases
- Work experience
- English and/or Maths, as required
- Animal biology
- Investigative research project
- Aquatic animal health and husbandry
- Exotic animal husbandry
- Animal grooming
- English and Maths, as required
You will need four GCSEs at grade 4 or equivalent, including Science, or a relevant BTEC Level 2 / First Diploma or equivalent*. A satisfactory academic reference is also needed.
*If you have four GCSEs at grade 4 but not Science you will be offered Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care and will then move to the Level 3 course following successful completion of the Level 2.
You will learn through a mixture of theory and practical sessions, including presentations, group work, and independent research.
You will normally be in college three days a week. You should dedicate time outside of college to revision and assignments.
- Folder with dividers to organise your work and assignments
- Stationery including notepad for use in class, pens and pencils
- College-branded white laboratory coat (unless otherwise informed)
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including steel toe capped footwear (boots, shoes, or wellies)
- Waterproof outdoor clothing and footwear (for work experience)