Are you looking to start a career as a dog groomer? As an apprentice, you will work alongside experienced staff, gain job-specific skills, knowledge and behaviours within the animal industry. You will earn a wage and be released to study during your working week.
Your role will be to complete an end-to-end maintenance groom on a range of dog breeds and coat types whilst meeting animal care and welfare legislation. Your job will involve manual labour and provide customer service. You need to be highly enthusiastic, have a strong work ethic, be self-motivated and have the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently. You may have to work irregular hours.
- Develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours as required for employment and future career progression within the industry.
- Bathing, grooming and drying a range of breeds
- Legal responsibilities as a dog groomer
- Dog anatomy and physiology
- Good and poor health and behaviour changes
- Dog handling and manipulation techniques
- Dog grooming equipmentUse of products and tools
- Canine first aid
- Record keeping and payment processes
You will need appropriate employment in the animal industry. It is preferable that you have a minimum GCSE grade 3/D in English and Maths.
You will develop knowledge, skills and behaviours through a mixture of practical and theoretical sessions. A blended learning approach will assist your development and progress.
You will be released from work one day per week to undertake training at college.
- Stationery such as pens and paper
- An electronic device to access online learning, i.e. a laptop
- Kennel coat and steel toe-capped boots for practical lessons