1 - 1.5 years
Are you passionate about a career working with animals and ready for employment? This apprenticeship could be ideal for you.
As an apprentice, you will work alongside experienced staff, gain job-specific skills, knowledge and behaviours for the animal industry. You will earn a wage and be given time away from work to study during your working week.
Your role will be to care for animals and their specific needs, meeting animal care and welfare legislation. It will involve manual labour and provide customer service.
You need to be highly enthusiastic, have a strong work ethic, be self-motivated and have the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently. You may have to work irregular hours.
- Help you to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours required for employment and future career progression within the animal industry.
- Health, bio-security and welfare legislation
- Animal anatomy and physiology
- Basic reproduction and obstetrics
- Animal first aid and medication
- Animal behaviours and their changing needs at different life stages
- Animal accommodation and environments
- Preparing and providing food, water and nutrition
- Approach, handle and restraining animals
- Exercise and socialise animals including enrichment
- Customer service
You will need:
Appropriate employment in the animal industry
Preferably, you will have GCSE English and Maths at a minimum of grade 3/D
Delivery of knowledge, skills and behaviours through theory and practical-based lessons. On occasion some lessons may be delviered online to support your learning and progress.
You will be released from wok one day per week to attend college.
- Stationery such as pens, paper.
- Electronic device such as a laptop to access our online learning environment.
- Kennel coat and steel toe-capped boots.