Meet Our Principal
The home of first-class vocational education in East Yorkshire
I am very proud to say that Bishop Burton College is one of the finest land-based colleges in the country, offering first-class, first choice vocational education across a wide range of subject areas, spanning apprenticeships through to Master’s Degrees.
Our commitment to combining vocational experience with academic studies in a wonderful campus setting provides students with a unique opportunity. We set high standards and expect our students to succeed. That is reflected in our fantastic success rates - some of the highest in the country, in fact.
As a Centre of Vocational Excellence in Agriculture and Equine - the only college in the country to have such prominent status in both fields - we are proud of our unique offering. Our students benefit from hands-on training from day one, and that’s been our way since we opened our doors in 1954.
Our team of staff are focused on ensuring that every student achieves their academic goals and is equipped with the necessary skills to succeed in future employment, and without fail, year after year our students succeed.
As a parent myself, I know only too well both the excitement and apprehension that can be felt by students and their parents and carers when choosing a college.
If you choose to come and study one of the many courses at Bishop Burton, you are guaranteed to receive the very best training in the sector and have access to outstanding resources, which include the Olympic-standard equestrian facilities, our Technology and Skills building and our state-of-the-art STEM Centre.
Over the past few years, the College has expanded and invested more than £70million in an ambitious redevelopment programme. We undoubtedly have some of the best facilities in the country, all of which have a positive impact on the success of our students. As an example, our exceptional sporting facilities enable us to offer numerous sports on campus up to elite level. We are home to seven sporting academies, provide training facilities for three professional teams, and consistently have students represent their countries on a national and international level.
Explore our website to find out more about what Bishop Burton College has to offer and if you need to know anything further please feel free to contact us - the staff will be pleased to answer any questions or, should you wish to visit us, give you a guided tour.
Jeanette Dawson OBE, Chief Executive and Principal, Bishop Burton College
The College Opened Its Doors to Students in September 1954
- In 1954, we had just 36 Agriculture students. Today, more than 600 students study Agriculture and related courses each year
- Over the last 63 years, more than 40,000 students have graduated from the College
- As recently as 20 years ago, just one in 10 agriculture students was female. Today, that figure stands closer to two in five
- The College offers more than 140 different courses each year across 18 subject areas – quite a change from the two Agriculture courses offered in the 1950s
- The first piece of Agricultural machinery bought by the College in 1954 cost £453 and 10 shillings. The latest piece of kit has cost more than £40,000
- The College’s Equestrian Centre, opened by HRH the Princess Royal in 2008, has played host to two FEI European Championships and countless international equestrian teams. In 2012, the College was chosen as an Olympic training venue for Australia, Bermuda, Canada and New Zealand
- The College is home to a successful commercial mixed-use farm, which features a 370-strong Holstein dairy herd, some 200 limousins, a pedigree Hereford herd, a flock of more than 1,000 sheep and a 2,000 strong drift of pigs. As part of their studies, students get first-hand experience of working on the farm.