YMCA Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction: Gym-Based Exercise
Type: Short Course
Duration: Eight days
What You Study
As part of this course, you will study:
- The heart and circulatory system
- The respiratory system
- Structure and function of the skeleton
- Musculoskeletal system
- Postural and core stability
- The nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed.
In order to complete this programme, you must:
- Be over 16 years of age
- Have experience in the gym environment, using cardiovascular equipment, fixed and free weights
- Have a good standard of fitness.
This programme takes place over three weekends.
Courses in Instructing Circuit Training Sessions and Group Indoor Cycling Sessions are available to add to your knowledge upon completion of this course.
- Work full time or part time as a gym instructor within a health and fitness club
- Work towards becoming a gym supervisor or fitness manager within a health and fitness club
- Deliver popular group classes (by taking CPD modules) including circuit training, Keiser cycle or core stability
- Build towards becoming a personal trainer by completing the remaining personal trainer modules
- Specialise in working with older adults or pre-natal and post-natal women.
This course costs £450 per person.
ALL payments must be paid before the start of the course.
How To Apply