City and Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Work-Based Horse Care
Duration: One year
What You Study
- Maintaining health and safety in the workplace
- Principles of maintaining good working relations with others
- Principles of feeding and watering horses
- Know how to groom and wash horses
- Principles of cleaning the stables and yard
- Assist with cleaning stables and yards
- Principles of and assisting with putting on and taking off tack and rugs
- Principles of and assisting with cleaning tack and horse clothing
- Principles of and assisting with leading assisting and controlling a horse for inspection under direction
- Principles of and assisting with catching and moving horses
- Principles of and riding under supervision in enclosed spaces
- English and Maths, as required
Please note, the units studied may vary depending on the options chosen. Riding and non-riding options are available.
No formal entry requirements. Regular practical equine experience is essential.
For the riding option, you must also demonstrate a suitable level of riding. We also have a maximum weight limit of 13 stone.
One year full-time, normally in college three days a week.
How You’re Assessed
Assessment includes a variety of techniques, including class tests, portfolio-based and practical assessments.
GCSE / Functional Skills exams in Maths and English will be compulsory if these have not been achieved at grade 4 when you start the course.
Students can progress to the Level 2 Diploma at the college.
The course provides you with opportunities to seek a junior position in industry, including grooms and yard workers. More senior positions can then be pursued.
How To Apply
Application is via our online application form or by the Common Application Process (CAP).