Are you looking to develop your career as a groom? Our Senior Equine Groom Apprenticeship will help you to develop your skills, as will provide and co-ordinate the day to day care of horses You will lead by example and be able to implement effective systems of work.
You will work with a variety of horses committing to their care and welfare. This will involve planning feeding, health care and exercising of horses as well as implementing routine yard duties You must be prepared to work in all weather conditions and may have to work irregular hours. This is a practical hands-on role requiring a strong work ethic, diligence and commitment.
You will earn a wage and be released to study during your working week.
- To develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours as required for employment and future career progression within the industry.
- Health and safety, bio-security, data protection
- Organise yard and field duties
- Nutritional requirements, planning diets, stock rotation
- Specialist health careMedication control, first aid, sick nursing, oral and topical treatments
- Physiology and anatomy including muscles, lower leg, respiratory and circulatory systemsHorses foot, hoof balance, shoeing, types of shoes, removing a shoe
- Grooming, trimming, pulling, clipping and plaiting
- Discipline specific saddlery and equipment
- Principles and legal requirements relating to travelling horses
- Variety of non-ridden and ridden exercises
You will need appropriate employment in a supervisory or working towards a supervisory position in the equine industry. It is preferable candidates have a minimum GCSE grade 4/C in English and Maths.
You will develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours through theory and practical-based lessons.
You will be released from work one day per week to undertake training at college.
- Stationery, such as pens and paper
- An electronic device to access online learning, i.e. a laptop
- Riding hat, riding boots, gloves and suitable clothing for practicals and equitation