1.5 -2 years
Develop your livestock skills whilst working with this appreticeship. It is likely that you will operationally manage livestock related tasks on the farm such as animal health and welfare from conception and birth through to the customer; and to support business productivity. You will be responsible for making decisions about daily management of livestock.
Mandatory qualifications include:
Level 2 Award in the Safe application of pesticides using pedestrian hand-held equipment/Safe use of pesticides
Level 2 Award in the Safe use of Veterinary Medicines
Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid
- To develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours required for employment and future career progression within the industry.
- Health and safety
- Legal and operational aspects of livestock record keeping
- Breeding and production cycles
- Different types of technology and systems used in livestock production
- Manage, monitor and evaluate the financial viability of delivered diets
- Prepare, maintain and operate farm vehicles, and attachments
- Select and prepare livestock for sale or transfer
You will need appropriate employment in the agricultural industry. It is preferable that you have GCSE English and Maths at grade 4 or above. If you do not have Level 2 English and Maths you will need to achieve this prior to taking the end point assessment.
You will develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours through theory and practical-based lessons
You will be released from work one day per week to undertake training at college.
- Stationery, such as pens and paper
- An electronic device to access online learning, i.e. a laptop
- Steel toe-capped boots, hi-vis vest and overalls for practicals