Start your career as a Poultry Worker with this apprenticeship, working alongside experienced staff, gainning job-specific skills in the agricultural industry. You will earn a wage and get time for study related to your role (usually one day a week).
A poultry worker is responsible for supporting the bird development process, maintaining bird accommodation and preparing and monitoring the livestock production environment whether this is on a farm or in a hatchery. This will include ensuring they are looked after to meet health and welfare requirements as well as performance targets while maintaining effective biosecurity at site.
As animal welfare is a priority on farm, key to being a good poultry worker is understanding your limits and knowing when to ask for help.
- To develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours as required for employment and future career progression within the industry.
- Core skills
- Health and safety
- Hygiene and food safety
- Bird handling
- Environment operations standards
- Spectialist options specific to your role, i.e. rearing, breeding, egg production, hatching or bird grow out
- Personal skills
You will need appropriate employment in the agricultural industry. It is preferable that you have a minimum GCSE grade 3/D in English and Maths.
You will develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours through theory and practical-based lessons
You will be released from work one day per week to undertake training at college.
- Stationery such as pens and paper
- An electronic device for online learning, i.e. a laptop
- Steel toe-capped boots, hi-vis vest and overalls for practical sessions