Practical vs Theory
The course will provide you with a broad range of knowledge and understanding about a wide range of animals, whilst preparing you for possible progression onto another course at the college, or into employment.
It is designed to serve the needs of all aspects of the animal sector, including companion animals, feeding and watering of animals including aspects of animal linked to the animal management industry and provide the basis for progression into further training, technical and practical skills you will need in your career. You will also have the opportunity to gain vital work experience in local animal business to develop industry knowledge and skills, try out the career you have set your sights on.
You will have the exciting opportunity to work with a range of species in our highly prized and industry-relevant animal unit, including; cockroaches and crickets, to tortoises in our chelonian room, to meerkats, skunks and more. Developing animal handling and husbandry skills and building knowledge about each species you work within their specialist environments.
- To prepare you for further learning or training.
- Provide you with a good starting point for your vocational education and training.
- To offer you a mix of personal development and employability skills alongside your vocational learning.
- Introduction to the land-based industry
- Accommodation theory
- Accommodation and feeding practical
- Feed and water theory
- Handling animals theory
- Handling animals practical
- Health and welfare theory
- Health and welfare practical
- Maintain and develop personal performance
- Provide controlled exercise theory
- Provide controlled exercise practical
- English and Maths, as required
You will need four GCSEs at grade 2/3 or a relevant or Level 1 quailifcation equivalent.
You must also provide a satisfactory reference and show enthusiasm and commitment at interview.
You will learn through a mixture of theorical and practical sessions.
You will normally be in college three days per week.
- Folder with dividers to organise your work and assignments
- Stationery including notepad for use in class, pens and pencils
- College-branded blue kennel coat
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including steel toe capped footwear (boots, shoes, or wellies)
- Waterproof outdoor clothing and footwear (for work experience)