Practical vs Theory
Access to Higher Education courses are designed to prepare students aged 19+ for a degree programme.
This course is for students with a passion for working with horses and develops the practical skills and knowledge needed to progress into higher education. It will allow you to carefully select specialist modules based on your passion, to tailor your study programmes to suit your career aims.
The course makes full use of the colleges facilities, including our Equine Centre.
- This course is designed to prepare students aged 19+ to study at degree level.
- Introduction to business
- Higher Education study skills
- Organisations, people and productsLand-based skills
- Introduction to science
- Science of life
- Research project
- Specialist Equine modules covering equine science and welfare, management and behaviour
You will need GCSEs in Maths, English and Science at grade 4 or above or equivalent qualifications, as well as relevant industry experience. You can study English/Maths alongside your course if you don't have these grades.
You will usually be in college three days per week.
- Lever arch file, dividers and hole punched lined paper, pencil case, pens and pencils.
- A laptop is desirable but not essential. USBs are not permitted. All work is stored using Microsoft OneDrive, free for Riseholme students.
- Dark coloured clothing, jodhpurs, waterproof coat (polo shirts, sweatshirts and hoodies can be purchased via our online shop).
- Yard boots or wellies.
- Grooming kit in a drawstring bag, hoof pick, dandy brush, rubber curry comb, body brush, mane and tail spray and shampoo.
- Hat to current BETA standards.
- Hairnet, dark coloured gloves and dark hat silk.
- Laboratory coat.
Validated by Cambridge Access Validating Agency (CAVA)
Find the full details of the fees associated with this programme and the financial support available.