FAQs: Residential

Your Frequently Asked Questions

Our Clock Tower

I am 16 years old and I am going to live in College accommodation. What support can I expect?

Bishop Burton College was assessed as Outstanding by Ofsted for its care of under-18 residential students.

We provide a combination of individually tailored support for our students along with communication with their parent/guardian or carer. An important factor in this equation is the level of responsibility demonstrated by the individual student.

It has been our experience over the years that some students will, for example, be homesick, whilst others may not be able to manage themselves and consequently put themselves at risk by not following our clearly laid out systems and procedures.

It has to be said that these individuals are in the minority, the majority settle in quickly and enjoy this stage in their life, take advantage of what is on offer, thrive in the grown-up atmosphere and become one of the many delightful students who progress and achieve their aims.

To give parents, carers and guardians the chance to talk through these issues we hold a parents evening a few weeks before term starts. There are also informal Christmas and Easter "drop ins". Your parents/carers will automatically be invited to the parents evening when we send out the joining instructions during the summer.

What items can students bring to put in their rooms?

Within reason students can bring whatever they want to put in their rooms. However you need to consider the following:

  • All electrical equipment must be PAT (Personal Appliance Tested) tested to comply with electrical regulations. There are qualified PAT testers on site during the induction days to check the equipment.
  • For safety reasons we do not permit you to bring large electrical items such as microwaves, grills or large fridges. However, small table-top sized fridges are permitted.
  • There is no problem with bringing a stereo, however as a member of a community living together in a hall of residence you will need to consider others when playing your music. Be warned, we will confiscate equipment that causes a disturbance.
  • We encourage all students to take out insurance to cover the replacement costs of equipment brought onto campus.

Do I need to buy a TV licence?

Yes, all residential students who have a TV in their room will need to have a valid up to date TV licence by law. Further information is available on the TV Licensing website.

Do students tend to stay on campus at the weekends or go home?

Some students will have duties at the weekend, either on the equine unit, the farm or in the animal management centre. These create a core of students who need to stay on campus. Others choose to stay anyway, whilst some always go home.

Will there be someone available at all times in cases of illness or needing emergency contact?

Yes. We have a dedicated team of wardens who are available on a rota basis 24 hours a day.

Is the campus safe and secure?

As a residential campus housing under 18 year olds, we consider safety to be very important. Residential wardens live on-site in and amongst the hostels. 24 hour security covers the main access to the college and there are foot patrols around the site during the night.

There is a Night Warden working alongside the Duty Warden from 9.30pm until 5am and extensive coverage from CCTV.