AASE Boys Rugby
The AASE Boys Rugby Programme is a partnership programme between Bishop Burton College and Yorkshire Carnegie.
It is targeted at talented 16-18 year old students who have the aspirations and potential to play at the elite end of the game. The design of the program is such that it will support the boys in both their rugby and academic development, giving them the opportunity to combine rugby training on a daily basis with their academic studies.
There are 15 AASE Rugby programmes across the country, all partnered with Regional Academies, that form the highly competitive AASE league. The programme is there to provide a transition from schoolboy rugby into professional rugby and the AASE league is the RFU flagship u18 competition and provides a real challenge to any promising talent.
Bishop Burton and Yorkshire Carnegie staff provide the coaching, strength and conditioning, nutritional advice, and physiotherapy. A typical week in the rugby programme includes:
- Technical and tactical training sessions
- Position specific training sessions
- Video analysis
- Strength and conditioning training
- Rehabilitation and recovery work
If you wish to apply, or want any further information on the AASE programme, please contact AASE Head Coach, Tom Gilchrist, with your academic and rugby CV by emailing: Tom.Gilchrist@bishopburton.ac.uk
Role: Head Coach AASE Boys Rugby
Tom is RFU Level 3 Accredited Coach and RFU Coach Educator. His last 5 years as a professional coach have been focused on identifying and developing 15-20yr old players, preparing them for International Programmes and Professional Rugby environments.
- Tom is head coach, and manages, the Bishop Burton College AASE partnership programme with Yorkshire Carnegie and works under Director of Rugby, Mike Umaga
- Tom’s other coaching roles include being Yorkshire County U18 Head Coach, Scottish Exiles U16 Head Coach and Yorkshire Carnegie U15 Junior Academy Coach
- As a player, Tom was part of the Leeds Carnegie Academy and went on to play Semi-Professional National League Rugby. He is now a Head Coach and plays in Yorkshire League Rugby.
Role: Coach AASE Boys Rugby
RFU Level 2 Coach and working towards Level 3 Coaching. B-Tec Sport National Diploma, Currently playing semi-professional rugby for Hull Rugby Club in third season.
- Represented home nation of Fiji at U18 and U20
- Former Worcester Warriors Academy Player
- Former professional rugby player for Moseley, Birmingham & Solihull, Doncaster
- Third year of coaching with Bishop Burton Rugby Academy.