Equine Therapy and Rehabilitation Centre
The Equine Therapy & Rehabilitation Centre provides a variety of treatment and rehabilitative services to promote and assist the recovery of client’s horses in a purpose-built facility located within the Bishop Burton Arena complex.
The Centre incorporates the equine spa, water treadmill, solarium, veterinary stocks and the rider fitness and performance unit.
Adjacent to the Centre are high-quality stables providing temporary residence for horses receiving treatment.
The Equine Therapy & Rehabilitation Centre offers an unrivalled service in equine care, therapy and rehabilitation. A fully committed and experienced team of staff are always available to assist and advise.
We work closely with local experts Rainbow Equine Hospital in Malton, who offer advanced diagnostic and surgical modalites.
The newly installed aqua treadmill allows the recuperating or working horse to exercise while being supported by water. Movement in the water is well proven to be useful in the training of the horse's muscles, improving condition. Buoyancy in the water ensures gravity is minimalised, therefore the impact on the horse's limbs and body is reduced aiding the rehabilitation of horses.
The water creates a gentle resistance that helps to strengthen the horse's body. This resistance grows during quicker movement which further enhances the strengthening and training response of the horse. Horses are able to use the same muscles, ligaments and tendons that are employed in traditional land-based exercise but without the stress and trauma. The water also has a cooling effect on the muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints providing a gentle massage to injured areas.
The benefits of aqua training:
- Natural exercise medium with therapeutic elements
- Creates a gentle resistance that helps to strengthen the horse's body
- Increasing resistance building strength and stamina
- Has a cooling effect for muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints
- Provides a gentle massage to injured areas
- Gait/biomechanical modification and improvement
- Natural properties of water and hydrokinetic exercise in a controlled environment
- Substantial reduction in weight-bearing exercise
- Encourages muscle development, cardiovascular fitness and flexibility.
Regularly used by top international riders, the new CET Equine Hydrotherapy Spa is a self-contained unit providing drug-free therapy to treat a range of lower leg injuries.
Hydrotherapy is a proven and effective form of treatment for many lower leg injuries which uses jets of aerated, chilled saline water to reduce inflammation and speed up the healing process. This high-tech facility offers clients a therapeutic programme for the prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of equine injuries.
This form of treatment has rapidly established a reputation for preventing and resolving lameness much quicker than conventional treatments and can be used alone or in conjunction with conventional veterinary care.
Hydrotherapy can be used for:
- Pre & post-competition sessions to lower the risk of injury
- Tendon & Ligament Damage
- Hoof bruises, abcesses and problems
- General swelling, soreness and stiffness
- Sore shins and other bone abnormalities
- Joint conditions
- Lacerations and soft tissue damage