This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
The gym environment is lively, diverse and challenging but most of all, fun! You will have the opportunity to improve clients’ overall well-being, enhance their fitness levels, improve their confidence and help them train for specific sports or events. You will be designing tailored gym programmes, encouraging gym users to train effectively and ensuring that they work out safely.
You will be taught by a highly qualified tutor at Bishop Burton College and receive all the guidance and support needed to pass the course.
As part of this course, you will study:
- The heart and circulatory system
- The respiratory system
- Structure and function of the skeleton
- Musculoskeletal system
- Postural and core stability
- The nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed.
If you’re interested in taking part, contact Ben Atkinson by calling 01964 553155 or emailing Ben.Atkinson@bishopburton.ac.uk.
This programme takes place over three weekends.
Upcoming dates to be confirmed.
Courses in Instructing Circuit Training Sessions and Group Indoor Cycling Sessions are available to add to your knowledge upon completion of this course.
- Work full time or part time as a gym instructor within a health and fitness club
- Work towards becoming a gym supervisor or fitness manager within a health and fitness club
- Deliver popular group classes (by taking CPD modules) including circuit training, Keiser cycle or core stability
- Build towards becoming a personal trainer by completing the remaining personal trainer modules
- Specialise in working with older adults or pre-natal and post-natal women.
This course costs £450.
ALL payments must be paid before the start of the course.
Please note that if there are insufficient bookings for this course to make it viable, then it will be cancelled (any amounts paid will be refunded if we cancel the course).
Share this course
In order to complete this programme, you must:
- Be over 16 years of age
- Have experience in the gym environment, using cardiovascular equipment, fixed and free weights
- Have a good standard of fitness.
BTEC Level 3 in Sport (Rugby, Football and Netball Academy Option)
Jordan had always loved playing sport, so when the opportunity came to study at Bishop Burton and be part of the College's Rugby League Academy progrmame, he jumped at the chance.
Combining academicstudies with an elite training programme, the programme offered Jordan the chance to pursue his professional sporting dream whilst studying a vocational course, should his sports career not take off.
Jordan worked hard both on and off the pitch, taking full advantage of the access he had to state-of-the-art facilities and respected coaches, trainers and lecturers, and his dream became reality when he signed a professional contact with Super League team, Hull FC. A lifelong dream realised through hard work, ambition and determination. Jordan now plays for Hull KR.