As an apprentice you will have a job and a wage whilst building up knowledge and skills within the horticulture industry. This apprenticeship standard at Level 2 will prepare you for work as a Sports turf operative and comprises of an end point assessment and Functional Skills (English and Maths).
- How to identify and use the correct materials, tools and equipment for grounds keeping,
- How to monitor, record and report findings
- Environmental, and health and safety law and regulations
- An understanding of different types of surface and problems associated with them
- How to minimise waste and reduce environmental impacts.
This apprenticeship usually takes between 18 and 24 months to complete.
More advanced courses are available at the college for further progression.
This Apprenticeship is recognised by the Institute of Groundsmanship (IOG), the Professional Body for Sports Turf Operatives and others working in the grounds care industry. Upon achievement of this apprenticeship the apprentice will be eligible to join the IOG register of Turf Management Professionals.
Share this course
You must have GCSE English and Maths at grade D or 3 or equivalent. You must also pass an initial assessment, secure work with sports turf as an apprentice and have one satisfactory reference.