This unique training course has been developed with farmers for farmers and, benefits from the option of participants having the opportunity to undertake an assessment module which is accredited by the Royal Agricultural University.
The course has been running since 2015 and the objective of the programme is to help individuals develop the skills needed in a management type role. This is achieved by input and interaction with guest industry speakers and other members of the group, field trips and a case study.
The course uses a range of industry experts to deliver a wide range of topics.
Upon completion of the project and its coursework, students are awarded a Level 5 management accreditation.
The programme, like the agricultural industry, is subject to change and is regularly assessed to ensure that it continues to meet industry needs. Key topics covered include:
- Personal and business objectives
- Resource appraisal
- People management and motivation
- Chairmanship and getting the most from meetings
- Time management
- Understanding accounts - sole trader and partnerships
- Costs of production
- Land values and understanding your assets
- Diversification field trip, exercise and SWOT analysis of own farm
- Leadership and leadership styles
- Business evaluation, gross margins and fixed cost.
- Case study, group activity
- Share farming and contract farming agreements
- Succession planning
- Business foundations and growth
- Preparing a business plan
- The media - the dos and don'ts of how to promote yourself and your business
- Field trip
- Presentation skills and public speaking
- Global markets
- Grain marketing methods and managing financial risk
- Panel debate - topical subject for the industry
- Case study SWOT analysis and presentation to the Farm Manager / Owner.
The course is fully residential and is delivered at our Riseholme Showground Campus Lincolnshire as follows:
Week One: 12th - 16th November 2018
Week Two: 4th - 8th February 2019
The cost for attending is £3,800 (payable in two installments). The fee covers all food and accommodation, training, training materials and field trips.
Some funding support may be available from the Princes Countryside Fund, The Chadacre Agricultural Trust, The Hadleigh Farmers Agricultural Association and the Lincolnshire Agricultural Society. For more information about bursary and sponsorship opportunities to help with the funding of the course, please email email@example.com.
Download an application form here and return it by 27th July 2018. Interviews will be held by invitation on 8th October 2018.
- Andrew Brown – TWB Farms
- Andrew Ward MBE – Roy Ward Farms
- Robert Borrill – AM Borrill and Son
- Christopher Leney – Brooks Leney
- Rhonda Thompson - Bishop Burton College
- James Goodson – Fisher German
- Ben Underwood – CLA
- James Thompson – Beeswax Dyson
- Peter Wiggins Davies – Revesby Estate
- Chris Baylis – Sutton Estates
- Sean Sparling – SAS Agronomy
- Danny Cowley – Lincoln City Football Club
- Thomas Bradshaw – Pro Agri
- Stuart McKenzie – Woldmarsh Producers
- Emma Craigie – The Ad Plain Ltd
- Paul Waberski – Brown and Co
- Mark Chatterton – Duncan Toplis
- Stephen Harris – Quesst Ltd
- Jeremy Cole – Agricole
- Rebecca Pearce – Openfield
- David Neale – Agrii
- Robert Shepherd – Allenford Farms
- Andrew Wells – Arable Alliance
- Charles Skelton – Savills
- Mike Lord – AMC
- Steve Ward – Uncle Henry’s
- Jim Beedon – Flagleaf Farming
- Craig Sigley – Barclays Bank
- Margaret Hartley – Benchmark Marketing
Share this course
Farm Management Development Programme
Harry Middleditch is a 25-year-old Assistant Farm Manager for D F Middleditch & Son based on the Essex / Suffolk border. They farm approximately 1000 acres of combinable crops, as well as having a flock of 50 pedigree Hampshire Down sheep and 100 Poll Dorset Ewes. A 2017 delegate, see what Harry thought of the Farm Management Development Programme...
“Since completing the first week of the Farm Management Development Programme, I arrived home with a new outlook on agriculture as a sector as well as a broader understanding of management.
"The course has made me rethink my business and how to take it forward in this ever-changing time within the industry.”