J A Fry Ltd, Cranswick, Driffield
Salary: £150.50 per week
Added: 7th April 2021
Closing Date: 26th April 2021
A large-scale bed and breakfast pig unit working with Karro, the unit is modern with straw bedding. Training will be given by vets in order to carry out key veterinary roles like vaccinations, euthanasia etc.
The suckler cow herd is regularly handled through modern facilities whilst carrying out duties such as weighing, vaccinating, pregnancy scanning and monitoring key growth rates of young stock. Calving is February to May with full hands-on experience given.
The farm is well mechanised therefore the machinery requires regular maintenance and cleaning. The apprentice will be required to get the correct certifications forklift certificate etc.
There will be some farm maintenance work required in order to keep the unit in good order. There will be the chance to take on some arable work if the apprentice is interested.
- 5,500 B&B pig unit
- 50 Stabiliser suckler herd
- Grassland, arable crops, vining peas, oil seed rape and wheat
- Responsibilities will include:
- Daily cleaning out and bedding up of pig unit (mechanised)
- Feeding and bedding of suckler herd- winter
- Handling, weighing and general husbandry of suckler herd.
- Checking suckler herd at pasture-summer
- General duties with JCB loader
- Some tractor work/ machinery maintenance
- Building and farm maintenance as required
- Some arable work at key periods
- Literacy skills
- Numeracy skills
- Team working skills
- Good communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- Good time management skills
- Previous experience in the sector would be beneficial
- Prior knowledge and experience are required
- No qualifications required as full training will be given but candidate should have basic literacy and numeracy skills and be able to complete the Level 2 Apprenticeship.
- GCSEs (or equivalent) in maths, English, and IT.
- The candidate must have a tractor licence and either have or be in the process of having a car licence.
- The candidate will be required to take all the relevant training and tests like the forklift test.
Things to consider
- Early mornings are a part of this role (6am) and weekend work is required (6am to 9am Saturday).
- The vacancy is based in a rural area and however there is good public transport links that run through the village. You will need to ensure that you can access the employer and training provider in line with the hours of work.
- If you are short listed for this vacancy you may need to attend more than one interview. The role will involve working outdoors/in all weathers/ chemicals/heat/cold/heights/driving/using heavy equipment/lifting etc.
- The suitable candidate will be provided with all the suitable PPE like overalls, boots etc. We have suitable facilities for lunch breaks. We have a shower room and facilities for the candidates use.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this vacancy and would like to apply, please follow the link below to the Find an Apprenticeship website: